Radon is a radioactive gas that is known to cause cancer. It is produced by the natural breaking down of uranium in rock, soil, and water.
Radon can not be seen, tasted, or smelled. High levels of radon can be found in every state in the US, one in 15 homes in the US has high radon levels. Radon is a deadly gas and should not be taken lightly, it is estimated that radon kills more per year than home fires, drownings, falls in the home, or drunk driving.
The EPA recommends that if you are buying a home you should test it for radon, if the levels are above 4 picocuries or higher you need to have the home remediated.
Remediation can be as simple as filling cracks in the home’s foundation or installing a system with vent pipes and fans to direct radon gasses out of the home.